When I first set this up, I used juju and charmed-kubernetes. That was fine, at first, but it turned out to be very unstable. For reasons I could never quite clear up, it would periodically re-run juju tasks on master nodes, which meant that the master nodes were always re-negotiating failover between them, and eventually it just fell apart, denying me access to the cluster (yes, I’m aware of cert renewal and the like, this wasn’t that, but I have no idea what it actually was).
Charmed k8s also had a bug that I was never able to chase down where a pod on a node couldn’t reach a service if the pod answering the service was on teh same node (i.e. traffic hairpinned back to the same node). That really limited the internal traffic ability of the cluster, since there weren’t that many nodes, so having multiple pods on the same node was fairly common. I worked around that for Prefect by putting Prefect oustide the cluster initially, but it still kinda sucked.
So, I replaced
juju + charmed-k8s with
kubespray. My thinking there was that kubespray is more officially supported
by the kubernetes project itself (or at least, closer to the core maintainers), so it was less likely (not impossible,
mind you) to have the fiddly bugs I was running in to. After all, I’m trying to be a user of k8s, not an admin of it.
I initially also replaced LXC/LXD with Vagrant/Virtualbox for the google boxes, before setting on running on metal with a cluster of 20 raspberry pis.
Because kubespray uses ansible, I was also trying to do all of this remotely to the nodes. I.e. I wanted my development OSX box to be able to run the ansible script and provision the whole cluster automatically. I admit, this is not something I was doing with juju, so I’m setting a higher bar for ansible than I did with juju…I feel like ansible should be capable of passing this bar, however - managing remote servers is the whole point of ansible.
The next thing to do was to follow the kubespray integration instructions to pull the instructions to deploy the cluster into the provisioning settings. Because I’m running this on a bare metal cluster, I added the metalLB deployment.
Kubespray’s recommended way of including the kubespray commands with an existing ansible playbook didn’t work for me.
The problem seemed to be that they tell you simply
include the kubespray
cluster.yml file, which is dynamically
adding it to your playbook…but that cluster.yml file has lines in it that say
import_playbook, which is statically
linking them, and ansible did not like it when I tried to mix and match like that.
In the end, I just left the
cluster.yml where it was, and called it directly with my own inventory file. I
k8s_cluster group_vars folders over to my inventory, renamed the “all.yml” file in the
kubespray.yml, and made that a group which I assigned all the nodes to. In the k8s_cluster group_vars
directory, I only brought in the
k8s-net-calico yaml files. I modified addons to
enable metallb, and helm, and modified k8s-cluster to have it match the cluster-name.
NOTE: You may be tempted to install ansible independently of kubespray. Don’t. Kubespray at the moment requires a very small window of versions of ansible. If you leave that out, it will complain and refuse to run. I’ve seen tickets that claim you can override that without issue, but again, I don’t want to maintain ansible/kubespray, I just want to use it.