blog.g-clef.net

Logo

But Why?

Why am I wasting precious time rebuilding a perfectly working lab?

Because it wasn’t actually a “perfectly working lab.” I forget whether I was rebuilding a server for the n-th time, or just troubleshooting and restarting a crashed service for the n-th time, but I realized that my lab was taking a lot of my time with tasks that were pure maintenance.

I have somehow managed to acquire a life, so I don’t have a lot of spare time anymore. I still want to have the lab, and I still want to do the stuff it enables me to do. But, given the existence of this new “life,” I wanted to actually do new things with the lab rather than spend the little time I had doing maintenance on it. That meant I was looking for a way to make the lab need as little maintenance as possible, maximizing the time I could spend doing stuff with it.

The way it used to be

My first iteration of the lab looked like it came from a yard sale. It consistend of 6 half-height desktop machines that I’d bought from Woot for about $40 each, and 2 Google Search servers. The desktop machines ran the tasks, and the Google search boxes ran a minimally-redundant ElasticSearch cluster.

This worked in the short term, but hard drives kept filling, and the occasional catastrophic drive failure convinced me that I couldn’t count on any of the servers (big or small) for storage of data.

More storage, more problems

To get over the local limitations, I added a Drobo NAS to store all the data my little experiments collected.

Adding the NAS was the right thing to do, but it exposed a race condition. My house has regular short power outages, because the local power company is run by jerks (f&*k Pepco). When I’d lose power, my whole lab would, obviously, shut down. When power would come back up, the lab systems would come back up in their own order, but the Drobo would be one of the last things to come back. The problem is that the Linux desktop boxes were configured to mount the Drobo’s shares at boot, and since the Drobo wasn’t running when the servers booted, that mount would fail. Linux wouldn’t re-try that mount, it would just boot into a busted state.

This meant that every time I lost power (sometimes quite often…seriously, f%^k Pepco), I would have to go downstairs, re-mount the RAID on each server, then restart the services that wrote to the RAID, and migrate any data that got saved in the wrong place onto the RAID.

Add to that the occasional hardware failure on the small boxes, Ubuntu dist-upgrades failing every single time I tried, and I found I was spending a lot of time just running in place.

That sucked. So…rebuild time.